International Business Advisory Services
Company registration in Hong Kong
Mason de Morfontaine helps companies and individuals to start their business activity in Hong Kong smoothly and quickly.
The most common type of company registered in Hong Kong is a private limited liability company. This is a separate legal entity with limited liability for its owners and strong public perception, it’s the most recommended option if you plan to expand your business in future.
Our customizable set up packages include the following services:
- Registration of your company with the Company Registrar and IRD (Inland Revenue Department)
- Assistance in the opening of a bank account
- Registered office & correspondence address
- Ongoing administration:
- ✓ Company Secretary
- ✓ Tax filing
- ✓ Audit
- ✓ Bookkeeping
- Management services:
- ✓ Nominee Director / Shareholder
- Trademark and special license applications and registrations
Standard timeframe for company incorporation is 3 to 5 working days.
Requirements for company incorporation in Hong Kong:
- A minimum of 1 director, no maximum requirement. Must be a natural person of any nationality over 18 years of age.
- A minimum of 1 and a maximum of 50 shareholders. Can be a company or a person of any nationality over 18 years of age. The director can also be the shareholder.
- Share capital - although there is no minimum requirement, the general practice is to have an authorized share capital of HKD 10,000.
- At least one secretary who should be a local resident or a locally-incorporated company. In case of a sole director/shareholder, the same person cannot be the company secretary.
- Registered physical address in Hong Kong.
Company registration in mainland China
Starting your business in China requires a lot of preparation and can be a tedious and complex process.
First of all, you need to make a choice of legal structure. Masson de Morfontaine helps with registration of two the most favored investment vehicles in China - Wholly Owned Foreign Enterprises (WOFE) and Representative Offices (RO).
There are three types of WOFE:
- Manufacturing WOFE - allows to manufacture goods in China
- Consulting WOFE - allows to provide consulting & services
- Trading WOFE or FICE (Foreign-Invested Commercial Enterprise) - grants import and export licenses and allows to trade
WOFE is the most popular choice of foreign investors, because it’s 100% owned by the founder and established entirely with foreign capital. This gives investors a higher level of independence, control and security over its business activities.
A WOFE can engage in approved business activities and issue invoices. Representative Office, on the other hand, is not allowed to engage in any profit-making activities, including manufacturing, production and sales, and cannot issue invoices. However, a RO may perform market analysis and coordinate your marketing activities in China.
Regardless of your choice, the set-up procedure can be lengthy and will depend on the type of legal entity, the city where you choose to set it up and how quickly you can prepare all the necessary documents. All legal documents for company incorporation should be in Chinese and the registration process may take up to 6 months.
Company formation and maintenance in other jurisdictions
At Masson de Morfontaine we collaborate with reliable service providers all over the world and offer a full package of services for offshore and onshore company formation, maintenance and administration which includes:
- Company registration
- Bank account opening
- Nominee directors and shareholders
- Virtual / physical office services
- Secretary, audit and bookkeeping
- Tax planning and filing
Strategic support for international development
Understanding business and cultural environments of Africa, Asia, Europe and the Middle East allows us to understand the needs of local investors. We assist our clients with a practical approach to the fiscal and commercial requirements of developed and emerging markets. Masson de Morfontaine serves as your in-house business & tax advisor, working alongside your finance and business teams, assisting them in managing projects and other service providers and participating in an ongoing dialogue among interested parties to ensure that your needs are met and managed on a global basis.